Vamp ep. 5 Vamp ep. 5

Very impressive, especially for 2005. 45 frames per second, a good voice actor with mostly clean audio, a finalized art style, absolutely excellent for the time. Very deserving of the Daily first.

The only thing I really dislike is the overt use of JPEGs. The compression really shows. The animation itself is admittedly not very impressive but I feel as though that many of the techniques overshadow this issue. The aesthetic choices are very creative for a gothic series, such as the TV static you used for fog.

The voice work, while excellent for the time, has a few problems, which are reverberation and background static. You managed to cover it up decently with the soundtrack but I was still able to tell.

I realize that criticizing this is a moot point since both Michael Chapin and Nick Birkner have both fallen off the planet but I feel a certain admiration toward this particular work.

It's a damn shame you two didn't continue the series past this point, if you did, you probably would have competed neck to neck with Xombie when it was still around. It really is too bad that we've entered an era of the internet where independent creators, web series and animation go to die. With the impending death of Flash, creating something by yourself and self publishing will soon be part of a bygone era.

It's not perfect, but it deserves to be acknowledged for coming close.

Yo Mama! Yo Mama!

If you load the SWF instead of the MP4 file, there will be no animation to speak of, only the title card with what amounts to a really shitty script reading where you can hear the actor bump into his microphone. What this tells me is the SWF didn't load past the first frame but loaded the audio anyway because he left it in start mode. He decided to upload his cartoon in a dying format and couldn't even do that much right, nor could he be assed to add so much as a preloader.

When I switch over to MP4, what I get is only marginally better. It's still the same shit script reading but now there's a story board with terrible artwork. If you, the one reading this [including Zachselsior] ever intend on becoming an animator sometime in the future, it would be well advised that you do not suck harder at what you do than the thing you're making fun of. I would rather watch those Yo Mama! videos than this garbage because they put effort into their work, such as the script, the animation and the voice work. It's as if molesting the microphone with your disgusting, pimply face actually removes from the experience of watching a storyboard where all the jokes are delivered horribly and every character is played by one actor, made ironic when you criticized the Yo Mama! people for overusing female actresses since you have none.

If this piece of shit were around back when Turd of the Week were still an award, it would still lose.

What's less funny than yo mama jokes? Spending five minutes trying to convince me that you're smarter than yo mama jokes. Congratulations, you are intellectually above the humor most enjoyed by sixth graders. Low brow humor is low brow, I would have never figured that out on my own. Yes, thank you for enlightening me on this subject, now when I hear a fart joke, I'll know it's a fart joke and not a commentary on the human condition.

zachselsior responds:

Looks like some one has a lot of free time on there hands.

[CD17] NonSpeedPaint [CD17] NonSpeedPaint

Couldn't agree more. When Newgrounds enabled video for the first time, the site was inundated with really shitty let's play and speedpaint videos. I know a secret in getting rid of most of them, but that time has not yet passed.

A Hearty Breakfast! A Hearty Breakfast!

An underrated parody for an underrated game.

fun made 2d rpg animation fun made 2d rpg animation

It's a pretty impressive animation demo but I'd appreciate a preloader next time, right now in fact would be good.

In any case, demonstrations like this aren't what you submit to the Portal since it's an incomplete work, next time you should upload it to the Dumping Grounds and paste a link to your blog.

caspers22 responds:

Thanks for your message it's my first upload. Is Dumping grounds something similar to the Newgrounds?

Monkey Vampire Monkey Vampire

Gross, hilarious, unadulterated and deranged, just like always. Good ol' Noiserover, you're like the gritty, underground Brad Neely. One of the things I've always appreciated about your work is that you always release the SWF with the MP4, a feature that's becoming more scarce going forward these days. I'm sorry I missed out on this during October. This felt like a nice throwback to that premium shit from the 2000s. Here's to looking forward to the next episode of Frank & Perry.

Ever Been On The Smiler? Ever Been On The Smiler?

I never like it when someone just repurposes a video from their Youtube account to here. How lazy do you have to be to not splice out the "please subscribe!" segment of your video? It's a splash page of social media links that don't work because Newgrounds doesn't have annotations and of course you'd be too lazy to throw together a SWF file and god forbid you have to do two lines of programming to make your social media links actually work.

I was going to vote five on your movie until I saw that.

FoxyHazarDar responds:

Jesus christ. Does it really matter?

It's A Mad World, Charlie Brown (2017) It's A Mad World, Charlie Brown (2017)

I thought this was going to be the sequel, why bother with a remake? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the obvious bump in quality, the backgrounds are immaculate & beautiful, the scene with Schroeder was massively enhanced from the original, & the scene where Charlie actually kills Lucy is much better, it was more fitting than the cleaver & better animated too. I know what it's like to feel dissatisfied with the quality of an animation you worked one a few years ago & wanting to perfect it, but some aspects are actually worse than in the original.

Take for example the panned shot of the moon when Lucy is murdered, in the original it was a crescent moon surrounded by clouds & it was very well done & tastefully arranged. In this new version, you used a full moon, but it looks horrible. You didn't even draft craters into it like you did in Charlie Brown Murders, you took the Brush tool, set the alpha to a low percentage and covered a yellow circle in transparent brown smears focused near the center. Sometimes recycling some of your older assets isn't the worst choice.

Other changes also felt unnecessary. In the remade scene with Schroeder, you added a fireplace, catalog-tier furniture and it's all excellently designed, but it feels like it's overdone. One of the more important nuances of Peanuts was that it was largely down to earth, pedestrian even, & you captured that quite well, I thought. It feels like you lost sight of that aspect for the sake of technical superiority, which you achieved but it just feels a bit hollow by comparison. That center shot of the Beethoven bust had a poignancy to it, everything felt balanced and just right from a tonal perspective. More practically speaking, Schroeder lives in a house in the suburbs, not an eighteenth century mansion, you feel me?

Speaking of tone, I will admit that I do miss the Necro soundtrack, and I know you can't use it anymore but it did keep in with the unadulterated vengeful tone from Charlie Brown Murders, but now it's a purely classical soundtrack. The horrorcore soundtrack verses the classical helped put a divide between Charlie's worldview and how the world is seen and felt by others, it really put it into perspective that Lucy, Schroeder & Linus live in a whole other world from Charlie, it framed his resolve & his outlook. I'm sure there are some royalty free horrorcore tracks out there somewhere, maybe even some here on NG.

The satanic undertones in the original IAMW Charlie Brown were interesting, but now it doesn't feel like he has genuine hate for Lucy at all & is driven just by insanity. You included the opening to Dance With The Devil at the end but made no references to Charlie's ties with the devil, the scene where he's scolded by a demon to murder Lucy was replaced by a nightmare of him being chased away by a tentacle version of himself. The imagery in that scene was so original and interesting, & I liked the puppet strings aspect of it, it added a layer of intrigue.

I don't get the change in direction to be honest, trying to make it more true to life without any of the occult themes feels like a letdown. I was really looking forward to a follow up to it, I felt like Dance With The Devil was very cleverly written & had lots of potential. I guess what I'm getting at is this; are there any plans to follow through on the Dance With The Devil plot thread or is that over?

I think it would've been better if you made the conclusion episode and packaged it with the remake as one video, because as it stands, it's like a Duke Nukem Forever situation where the follow up is promised for years and what we got is a re-imagined take of the original.

In a way, writing this all out and looking over it, remembering other people in similar boats like SqueakyToad & his Spirit of Halloween series and how that concluded, all has lit a fire under my own ass with my own unfinished business. I hope you read this and consider some of what I said.

Yours SINcerely
~Psychopath.

Mexicoke Mexicoke

Why depict a female character if you're gonna use a male actor & not even attempt to sound female? We do have female actors on Newgrounds you know.

Emo Fudd Emo Fudd

That was actually pretty decent. However, I can't help but feel it would've been better if it were someone else, like Yosemite Sam, Sylvester or Pepe. The emo scene doesn't really click with Elmer Fudd, but it's obvious why you chose Elmer; it's because "Emo" makes for a fitting replacement, but only on the verbal level. At the very least, a reference to the Loony Tunes opera skit would've been a nice touch, since that's about the only time Elmer shows lament for trying to kill Bugs Bunny.

I wish I could like this more, but something just feels missing. Something about the two concepts just don't make a connection, sadly.

thisisaok responds:

Nothing makes a joke funnier than over explaining it. Thanks!