View Profile Psychopath

361 Movie Reviews

It's really hard to be impressed by the 12 year-old attempting sailor vocabulary, ultra violence and the smooth animation when the art design looks like the excrement of Jim Henson. It's really easy to make your animation buttery smooth when the art is designed to be as unchallenging as possible to even the most cheap overseas MS Paint sweatshop labor one could hire.

It took a whole studio of professionals to make this, and they couldn't even stay on model through all seven minutes of it.

There's this guy named Miguel Coutto here on Newgrounds, he's new to animation, you should ask him for lessons.

EXIT73STUDIOS responds:

While we understand this style may not be for everyone and look easy... the entire short was animated, colored and composited by a team of 2 people in their very little spare time over several months. So you're right, anyone can do it if they put the time and effort in. And we want more people to keep doing it, making your own films is the most important way to get better at animation and storytelling.

I'm not too surprised this is on the front page. You took the Second Renaissance, Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell and shoved them into the 'cyberpunk wet dream' blender.

Being that this is your first animation attempt, which is admittedly impressive, my sole criticism is that, ironically, character movements are too robotic and unnatural, which, also ironically, implies a lack of understanding of the mechanics underlying human movement.

The part where Motoko Kusanagi unplugs from the Matrix and walks toward the window, I can tell you didn't actually animate her feet touching the floor and cropped it out in post, you animated it as a crop from the start, because the animation only gives the "impression" of someone walking, and it's more akin to swimming vertically than it is to a walk cycle.

When people walk, each side of their body tilts up and down in accordance to which leg is giving the body support verses the leg that's falling behind, coming off the floor and going ahead of the person to exchange the job of support with the other leg. Also note that the side a person's body is receiving lumbar support on will apply pressure to the body while the side not receiving any will be relaxed, the former causing the body to bunch up and the latter causing the skin to stretch, because the former is supporting and the latter is extending.

A good way to get a grasp of how this works is to do a walk cycle from a side shot in full body, a stick figure with ball joints oughta do it. Keep in mind that the body is in a constant state of falling and the act of walking is taking a 'static object' and transporting it by means of bipedal terrestrial locomotion. Think of an action figure with its leg lifted and knee bent and keep in mind that the simultaneous lack of support and focus of weight would cause it to fall to that side.

The only brakes on hitting the big 30 is a .30

1,094 days left to hit the brakes.

49 Game Reviews

December is the wrong time of year to submit a Halloween game. You may want to check your calendar to verify.

By the way, if your results are returning a value of NaN, you need to remove things like commas from the equation. Commas in ActionScript are used for things like declaring a series of variables or creating an array, so when you type in a comma, it doesn't register as a string but rather you're telling the interpreter that a value like, say, "2,509" for your B/P score is actually two separate values; 2 and 509.

Scottmale24 didn't anticipate this and didn't optimize his code to accept commas as a string, only as raw script input, which means commas are taken as code by the interpreter. Had he programmed it to take string data rather than raw numbers, that would allow him to convert the string back into a numeric value while removing string values like letters and punctuation marks so the raw number data could be plugged back into the calculator without error.

When an SWF file returns a value of NaN, you've probably entered a value that the interpreter doesn't understand or you've accidentally entered in actual ActionScript code that undermines the program's design. You can actually cause Flash to redefine variable datatypes by giving it inappropriate values like letters, which will cause Flash to redefine a mathematical variable to a string. This is because Flash is capable of accepting what's called "implicit programming", where if a variable is left undefined in datatype and you plug in a value, the interpreter will attempt to fill in the blanks and assign a datatype for you.

Holy shit, it's like 2005 again. Right in the nostalgia.

PuffballsUnited responds:

How..? The first game came out in 2008 haha

79 Audio Reviews

This isn't Industrial, this is Ambient. The whole point of Industrial as far as mood is concerned is that it's supposed to be dark, dismal and bleak. It's actually supposed to be the opposite of Techno in a way. For a good example of what Industrial should be like, look up a song called Martial Law by AliceMako.

I'm giving you a 2.5 because I wanted to give you the fairest shake I could. Industrial isn't dancing in a club out of the Jetsons, it's hiding in the sewers from strike drones. I know it might be a dick move to write a review on a song that barely touches on the music itself, but I don't peruse the Industrial section for optimistic music.

mrcompston responds:

Yeah sorry about that, was half asleep when I posted the track. Basically, I thought at the time it read "instrumental", that is why I clicked on it, I should have known better really. Thank you for your honest feedback :)

Sounds like a song you'd hear from LISA the Painful RPG.

One of the better uses of Mixcraft I've heard yet. Very well made.

ADR3-N responds:

Wow, didn't expect a review on this since it's so old -- before I had an idea about music making. Glad you liked!

53 Art Reviews

I'd like to point out that she's not sitting on the platform.

Beautifully creative, gorgeously colored, utterly flawless... save for lulzy backdrop error.

I'm impressed with the amount of work and detail you put into this background. I do see a handful of problems though, everywhere I look on the page I see little corners that weren't filled in all the way, you may want to consider changing the Gap Size settings on the paint bucket tool to Don't Close Gaps.

You may also want to reconsider the tool you use for outlines since the Brush tool is a coloring tool & you seem to have trouble erasing outlines that cross into other outlines. You could erase a lot of those overcrossing outlines using the Line Tool with the Snap to Objects setting on; drag the the Line Tool outline over the affected area, break it and color over the stump you want to erase.

If you want the same visual effect you get with the Brush Tool, it can be done with the Pencil or Line Tool but the only drawback is it takes way longer, but you'll have more refined control of how each color-outline appears.

On the off chance that you're using the Eraser Tool, the Selection Tool is better if you want to delete elements that need to be chucked.

Your work reminds me a lot of a guy's content I enjoy, he's been around since 2004; his username 'round these parts is Noiserover. Be prepared, he has a penchant for disgusting humor.

Affable misanthrope, common narcissist, incorruptibly amoral, aspiring arsonist, friendly neighborhood psychopath.

24, Male