Emo Fudd Emo Fudd

That was actually pretty decent. However, I can't help but feel it would've been better if it were someone else, like Yosemite Sam, Sylvester or Pepe. The emo scene doesn't really click with Elmer Fudd, but it's obvious why you chose Elmer; it's because "Emo" makes for a fitting replacement, but only on the verbal level. At the very least, a reference to the Loony Tunes opera skit would've been a nice touch, since that's about the only time Elmer shows lament for trying to kill Bugs Bunny.

I wish I could like this more, but something just feels missing. Something about the two concepts just don't make a connection, sadly.

thisisaok responds:

Nothing makes a joke funnier than over explaining it. Thanks!

Super Mario - After the Game Super Mario - After the Game

Eh, this deadbeat Mario schtick is not really funny. What's the joke? Where's the humor? This is just an unfunny, dramatic downward spiral. This is so dull. Surprise is part of what makes comedy what it is & I can't even count the billions of times I've seen Mario go on a downward spiral just like this.

The OMNISĀ© Powerglove The OMNISĀ© Powerglove

That was legit a breath of fresh air compared to a lot of things that tend to end up on the front page. It's really nice to see a cartoon that isn't completely fucking obnoxious for once, even better when the author actually appears to care about being entertaining, rather than soapboxing, lazily sputtering gibberish for a cheap laugh or edgelording as hard as possible.

It's great to see dark humor that isn't pushing for the greatest logical grimderp extreme and shows a bit of personality.

The only drawbacks I can remark on are the technical ones. The animation is storyboard tier & the lip syncing doesn't match the dialog half the time. The other half, the character's mouths don't move at all. It looks like way too much effort was centered on the filter effects & not on what really matters in an animation, which is the animation itself. The specific way the lip syncing is delivered really reminds me of the days when I used MS Paint because I didn't own a copy of Flash, how it's just an alternation of two frames; one with the mouth open, the other with the mouth shut.

I'll have to admit that it's not at all surprising that something this authentic came from an outside presence and not from anybody who has their roots in Newgrounds nomenclature or even the internet at large. If the otherwise were true, the people you credited in the description would be listed as authors with their own NG accounts, or at the very least the description would've been littered with social media links.

The pale color palette, the art style & the psychotic robot dog mascot are very reminiscent of early Flash movies & 90's cartoons. If I had to pick from each category, I'd say it's like Neurotically Yours blended up with Sam & Max.

Scrappo responds:

Hey Psychopath, thanks for your response! Your languemic systemic variables have been noted for future reference. We are inexplicably happy that you didn't find us "fucking obnoxious". It's true, we do care about entertainment. Entertainment to subvert the masses to bend to our will, teehee.

Tis true indeed that from Newgrounds venture forth not did we! I did post one film on here, ages ago, on a different account named after a villain from The Great Morano comics. It was about a cat, that fires lazers from its face.

But alas I'm rambling, let me address some of the animation notes. I honestly view this more as a detailed animatic, or something more akin to Neely comics where the focus is much more on the story and characters than the fluid animation. Plus everything looks shiny so you can almost look past it. Well at least some of us can, you psychopath! Boy is it fun calling you that.

You see the reason the animation is so incredibly limited, is because the truth is I made this on a 3 day sleepless binge as an assignment for a science class, and I also ended up using it as my final animated film for the year. Sometimes I do wish to go back and edit the movie, add more animation, but I have far too many current things to do to George Lucas myself.

I am definitely inspired by early Flash movies and 90's cartoons, so that would make sense. I'd say for this short in particular I was mostly inspired by Mickey Mouse himself, and perhaps some simpsons and invader zim.

Thanks for commenting on the film, we're really glad you liked it and it makes me especially happy to see people actually thinking critically about the work. Thanks!

Halloween Hunt Halloween Hunt

December is the wrong time of year to submit a Halloween game. You may want to check your calendar to verify.

the NG Calculator the NG Calculator

By the way, if your results are returning a value of NaN, you need to remove things like commas from the equation. Commas in ActionScript are used for things like declaring a series of variables or creating an array, so when you type in a comma, it doesn't register as a string but rather you're telling the interpreter that a value like, say, "2,509" for your B/P score is actually two separate values; 2 and 509.

Scottmale24 didn't anticipate this and didn't optimize his code to accept commas as a string, only as raw script input, which means commas are taken as code by the interpreter. Had he programmed it to take string data rather than raw numbers, that would allow him to convert the string back into a numeric value while removing string values like letters and punctuation marks so the raw number data could be plugged back into the calculator without error.

When an SWF file returns a value of NaN, you've probably entered a value that the interpreter doesn't understand or you've accidentally entered in actual ActionScript code that undermines the program's design. You can actually cause Flash to redefine variable datatypes by giving it inappropriate values like letters, which will cause Flash to redefine a mathematical variable to a string. This is because Flash is capable of accepting what's called "implicit programming", where if a variable is left undefined in datatype and you plug in a value, the interpreter will attempt to fill in the blanks and assign a datatype for you.

Fleeing the Complex Fleeing the Complex

Holy shit, it's like 2005 again. Right in the nostalgia.

PuffballsUnited responds:

How..? The first game came out in 2008 haha

Groangasm Groangasm

Sounds like a song you'd hear from LISA the Painful RPG.

Linkin Park Mashup Linkin Park Mashup

I only wish this were louder.

etK responds:

Oh god this is old lol ^^

Wacked Out Space Aliens Wacked Out Space Aliens

One of the better uses of Mixcraft I've heard yet. Very well made.

EDM364 responds:

Wow, didn't expect a review on this since it's so old -- before I had an idea about music making. Glad you liked!

Bunny Suit Ari Bunny Suit Ari

Spines can't twist 75 degrees like that. Her breast is dangling over her right buttock. She could touch the front of her left thigh with her right arm by reaching behind.

AngelXMIkey responds:

I liked the reference I used, so I took some liberties to get a good booby to booty ratio. Sorry it bothered you so much not to get you off.

Sanford - For Deimos Sanford - For Deimos

I know that it's a faux pas to criticize one of NG's biggest giants but I honestly have to say that your artwork has gotten worse over the years. Well I admit you've gotten much better at the finer details, your general form has gotten worse.

The first thing I want to point out is how his leg is angled, have you ever seen someone spread their thigh out by forty degrees with their shin & foot facing forward, as if he were extending his leg ahead of himself instead of the side? His pose is so unnatural and forced, legs do not pivot on their joints like that. It wouldn't be so bad if his knee were tilted inward but it's somehow angled outward. I know you did that on purpose because you wanted that cool straight on shot of his boot, but it comes off like his knee is broken.

Also note the hand above it, it's awkwardly designed; the human hand is supposed to be curved but his fingers are arranged in a row like boxes lined up together on the ground. It also doesn't help that his thumb is conjoined to his index finger. Not to mention that his distal phalanges is too small on his index finger, it's a stub. It doesn't help that his hand is positioned upward while his arm is positioned down. It gives the impression that his hand doesn't have metacarpals, which is made worse by the line that branches from the middle knuckle into the thumb. In fact, that gives the impression that the thumb is somehow set behind the metacarpals altogether, because that's where his metacarpals are supposed to start, which suggests that his thumb is connected straight into his forearm.

I felt this was relevant to criticize because I just saw your blog post in September last year and I got a good look at your commissioned drawing of Sanford: http://blogimg.ngfiles.com/969000/969799/49450891_Cs7KN0UUsAALc0J.jpg

Look at the deformities of his right shoulder, the collarbone on his right side doesn't even exist and his neck plunges straight into right arm. In fact, his sternocleidomastoid muscle connects straight into his shoulder.

Bad Morning Bad Morning

I got your PM so here's my review.

Very classic Newgrounds humor. My advice is to make lines more straight for objects like tables & walls, the table top is angled differently than the table leg. If you're gonna use the same shot twice I'd recommend copying and pasting the same assets just for sake of efficiency save for the things that are meant to be different.

General cleanup would be nice, I see a bunch of outlines that cross into each other when they're not meant to, like when the collar of the bathrobe crosses into its wearer's face.

It seems like you drew it all at once on one layer. I'd recommend making each panel independent of each other and assembling them together later so you can space apart panels at a distance that doesn't feel crowded. It seems like you struggle a lot with portioning out the space you use for your strip. I see this issue with your use of text as well, it looks like you made the word bubbles first and had to fit the text to it. You should type out the text first and then create the word bubble around it.

I'm assuming you use Flash for your comic strips so I'm going to use that lingo for what I have to say next. When drawing the boundaries for your panels, I recommend simply getting the box tool and sizing it using the height and width dimensions in your properties panel instead of manually drawing it out using the brush tool. I see that your shading style is merely using the brush tool with white coloring you made transparent, I can tell because the shading often crosses over into other elements like black outlines. What I would do is I'd use the line tool to outline where you want the shading to be and attach the loose ends to edges of the object you want to add shading tool, break the outlines, fill in the color with the paint bucket tool & erase the outlines.

Another technique I'd recommend is, when making your individual panels, size them as big as possible or at least as big as you're comfortable at drafting. Then once you're done with that panel, you can shrink it down to its needed size when you bring it over to the main strip. It feels like you had to scrawl some segments as small as you could and certain details had to be left out to make room as I can see details only barely don't breach the sides, particularly with the top half of panels.

If you need your panels to be at a set of specific dimensions, what I would do is draw out all the panels as they need to be on the strip and then lock the height and width dimensions together in the properties panel before copying the panels over to new stages to fill them with content. That way, no matter what number you put into the width or height, it'll retain the same proportions as before.

I want you to look into a guy called "Iconoclast", power name: Jonathan Sweet for all the "don't do" aspects of a comic strip. I find that it's more revealing to look into the things one shouldn't do than what one should do. Subtracting a problem can add a lot.

I hope my advice helps.

DiggidyDelRio responds:

I use Gimp, but I can easily use this technical advice, anyway.

I'll PM you later with a more detailed response, I just wanted to let you know how happy I am to get such thoughtful insight.

I appreciate it a lot!